Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Happened to Customer Service?

I remember the days when you could call someone on the phone and ask them about your computer software or hardware or your ISP account. (OK, so I can still do that for my ISP but it's an independent entity and that's why I use it.) Why is it that these days you can dig, dig, dig on web sites and not get to any actual human responders about questions? I have this eternal curse of being able to crash pretty much anything and nobody ever knows why. I'm a great beta tester and bug reporter, but it should be a two-way street.

I tried making some changes in my Blogger template for this blog tonight, for example, and it royally puked. I have no idea why - well I have a couple of ideas, but still the software shouldn't hang like this. I tried the changes in another browser, same problem. I went to the Help page and there's no human help or link to human help anywhere - no email address, no phone number, no online chat, nothing. Is that what they mean with "you get what you pay for"?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM , Blogger Edward Vielmetti said...

sigh, you do get what you pay for, and sometimes a little bit less.

There's a site called Get Satisfaction (http://www.getsatisfaction.com) that handles some amount of coordinated customer-to-customer service, sometimes useful but still fundamentally frustrating.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home